The Bristle Blaster® provides a new blasting process that makes use of a specially designed rotary bristle tool that is able to achieve both corrosion removal and an anchor profile. The Bristle Blaster® patented technology is able to remove corrosion and/or coatings, clean the surface, and simultaneously create a rough surface texture.
The surface quality achieved using the Bristle Blasting process is comparable to a surface produced using other blasting methods, in relation to the level of cleanliness and roughness - surface cleanliness according to DIN EN ISO 8501-1 of SA 2.5 (or SSPC-SP10 or NACE 2) and anchor profile of up to 120 µm Rz (4.72 mils).
Bristle Blasting is appropriate wherever the usage of conventional blasting methods is not efficient or is not possible. In particular, the application of the Bristle Blaster® technology is particularly appropriate for repairing or reworking steel structures (spot repairs) and for finishing (cleaning and roughening) weld seams.
Also, wherever the usage of classic blasting methods is not allowed due to safety regulations (e.g. working in potentially explosive atmospheres), or due to issues related to the protection of the environment, the Bristle Blaster® technology is an unrivalled alternative.
The patented Bristle Blaster® is used in many sectors including the oil and gas industry, the petrochemical industry, steel construction, hydromechanical steel construction and ship building, as well as during maintenance work, e.g. on bridges, offshore installations and wind turbines.
Classic application areas include:
- Oil and gas industry, e.g. on offshore platforms, in refineries, pump stations
- Pipeline construction and renovation
- Renovation of bridges, building constructions etc.
- Harbour installations, piling walls, locks, and weirs
- Shipbuilding and ship repair
- Repair of tanks, tank coating removal
- Renovation of railway rolling stock
- Maintenance of wind turbines, in hydroelectric, coal or nuclear power stations
- Removal of corrosion, mill scale and defunct protective coatings with a surface cleanliness similar to SA 2.5 (NACE No.2/SSPC-SP10 to SA 3 (NACE No.1/SSPC-SP5)
Restores surface to DIN EN ISO 8501-1 / SA 2.5 to SA 3.
- Surface texture / Anchor profile up to 120µm (Rz) / 4.72 mils
Roughness capability from 40- 120µm Rz / 1.57 - 4.72mils . Also in areas where blasting is not permitted. Applies for non-ferrous metals as well.
- Improved integrity of treated surfaces
Generates compressive residual stress along treated surfaces providing crack growth resistance, improved fatigue life, and improved corrosion resistance.
- Negligible heat generation
Surfaces free of thermal damage and/or heat marking.
- Eco Friendly
GREEN surface preparation, does not use/produce hazardous materials. Low energy requirements.
- Simple and Economical
Eliminates the need for complex and costly abrasive blast equipment. Benefits include:
- no recycling costs for contaminated blasting abrasives
- avoidance of major transport costs of the blasting abrasives
- rapid commissioning
- continuous in-service operation due to ergonomic low system vibration (Vibration test)
- Low vibrations (Vibration test)
- Continuous use of the tool for a number of hours per day is possible due to the low levels of vibration from the tool. There is no risk to operator health resulting from Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS).
- No costly protective clothing required
- It is not necessary to wear costly protective clothing, as is needed when blasting, due to the low operation speed of the tool of 2300 rpm. Only safety glasses, gloves and a face mask are required for safe operation.
- A light and ergonomic design allows continuous operation with minimal fatigue
- Low noise levels
- A sound pressure level (SPL) of a maximum of 83.2 dB(A) is reached during operation. Compare this to other rust removal systems sometimes capable of achieving a sound pressure level in excess of 95db(A).
- ATEX approved for use in zone 1(Bristle Blaster® Pneumatic) according Ex II 2G c IIA T4 X